Sunday, July 31, 2011

True Friendships on Twitter?

I just started tweeting on the long July 4th weekend and I already have several people that I am happy to call my friends.

Those acquaintances and loved ones who don’t tweet also don’t understand the idea of friends on Twitter. If I’m talking about it on the phone there’s sudden a long silence until I ask, “Are you still there?” In person, I get the strangest looks. Ah, well, sometimes we can’t understand something we haven’t experienced.

Here are some of the reasons why I believe it’s possible to have true friendships on Twitter:

· Some people say more in 140 words than most people say all day.

· What a person chooses to re-tweet tells you as much about them as what they say.

· People show kindness every day; re-tweet stuff that’s important to others, respond to sadness, mention their friends - just cuz.

· You’ll read the words “Thank you” on Twitter way more often than you’ll hear them in real life.

· You can easily find others of a like mind. When was the last time you could complain about the troubles of Indie publishing to someone you met in the grocery store?

· While we may have come to Twitter to promote something – in my case, a book – quite a few stay for another reason – the people and ideas you find within. After all, how hard is it to whip off a few promotional tweets and leave the Twittersphere? It’s extremely easy to just stop by, but many invest more than a few minutes a day.

· Following a link to a new blog can open up windows to the world you had never considered. Of course, you feel gratitude and closeness to the real life person who led you there and the real life person who wrote the glorious piece.

· Finally, when someone sends you a direct message telling you that you are a good person, that someone becomes your friend. No questions asked.

I know Twitter isn’t for everyone, but I’m thankful I bought John Locke’s book How I Sold a Million eBooks in 5 Months! It was his description of how to become a good tweeter than started me on my way. Thanks, John. I got so much more than a way to promote my book out of it.



Buy “Red Mojo Mama” here!

14 comments:

  1. Great post!! I am just starting [after a few months] to make REAL connections on Twitter. I am having fun with it and trying to connect with people that just seem interesting instead of sticking within my comfort zone.

    http://www.doreenmcgettigan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to meet you through Twitter. I'm still struggling to figure out how to respond to a direct message with a direct message since they changed things. :) Thought I'd stop by here instead and subscribe to your blog. I'm much better at Facebook than Twitter, especially since there are only so many hours in the day. Friend me there. http://www.facebook.com/Lisa.A.Nowak

    ReplyDelete
  3. I for one, never expected Twitter to be a real community. I just assumed people would post meaningless tweets.

    I am so glad that I have had my world opened up when I click on people's links. Like yours! I am so happy I found it. It is truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog post - I might have been a week ahead of you with Twitter so I understand exactly what you're talking about. When I had a problem you were one of the first to wade in and try to help - of course you didn't know the answer but you didn't forget and few days later you Tweeted to make sure I was still treading water and not washed up on the beach. That's a real friend - a real, real friend - Thanks - yours to count on, Bert

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great comments here! Bert - love ya man. I wanted to dedicate this blog to Leticia - @hoonyagurl for the day! Thanks everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You said it all :-) I have had my twitter account for years, but just recently in the last few months really started using it and I have made some wonderful friends, found some great blogs and books that I have on my reading list. I'd tell you to follow me on fb, but I have been spending my time tweeting! but you can find me on twiiter.
    K_Einsel

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree more. I have met some wonderful and very supportive friends on twitter and have learned so much from the valuable information they have shared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post that I'll certainly be tweeting!! I never knew what a benefit Twitter could be...now I can't imagine not having some of these awesome friendships I've made!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agreed. I've already found friends that I'd love to meet and hug IRL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lindsay said it best, there are a number of tweeters I'd love to meet and hug in person. Life is good. Merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just started tweeting myself and hope to fins success and friendship in this new medium (to me).
    I should start a blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how people have reacted to this post. It's been very popular. In fact, this post inspired a new novella I'm publishing this next weekend - The Great Twitter Adventure or How 5 Tweeps Saved the World. Anyone who has found friendship on Twitter will like it. I'm pretty sure!

    ReplyDelete