Here are the top ten reasons I love cruising:
1. You can eat as much as you want! I’m not a big fan of buffets so this seems like a contradiction. However, what I really loved was the idea that I could have two appetizers and two desserts if I wanted. I only did the double-ups once – two appetizers – but it was the idea that I didn’t have to be confined to what’s “normal.”
2. Naps between activities are so accessible! The simple fact that you can go from swimming in the pool or a land excursion to a nap before dinner by simply walking back to your cabin – heaven.
3. You can have a few drinks without worry! I’m really not much of a drinker, but I have frequently wanted just one more and knew it wasn’t a good idea because I was driving home. Viola! Onboard ship you just have to worry about going overboard – literally.
4. Ramon! Well, I realize that all cabin stewards are not named Ramon and may not even be a handsome man. But mine was! He was flirtatious, solicitous and had pretty teeth. Plus he made us those cute towel animals.
5. Meeting new people – I really love meeting people that I may never see again. You can really relax that way and be yourself in a whole other way than you do in business or personal relationships at home.
6. Your only responsibility is getting yourself on the ship! If you want to simply stay in the cabin for four days, so be it. They’ll bring you your food. Whatever you choose to do from the vast array of activities is solely up to you.
7. The food is fantastic! Really. At least it was on our ship and my daughter was a chef-in-training at the time and very picky. She still talks about the escargot and tiramisu. I’m more of a stuffed mushrooms and crème brulee kinda gal myself.
8. Being on the ocean. Looking out the dining room windows and seeing the shore slip away as you head out to sea. Wow!
9. Walks on the decks at night. Our ship was nearly deserted on the decks by around midnight, so a stroll in the cool night air was a real treat.
10. Being waited on every minute of the day. Oh, my goodness, does anything make you feel more queenly (or kingly) than that?
I just found myself craving a cruise really, really bad. Writers, be careful what you write about!
Please add to the list! I’m sure you’ve had your own shipboard adventures.