Sunday, April 19, 2015

You Can't Take Anything for Granted

 My very kind, smart and beautiful daughter-in-law has a brain aneurysm, just discovered this weekend, and is in intensive care. She's about to have surgery. My son expressed his situation best in the explanation on a Facebook funding site so I'll leave it to him as shown below. I'll just add this - life throws us all curve balls but this one is really out of left field and a wake-up call for anyone who is just taking life for granted. Caroline is in her early 40s. Treasure everything you have and everyone you love every minute of every day.

"My name is Erik. I am a USMC and US Army veteran with 26 years of service. However, as a retired reservist, I am not eligible to receive my pension until age 58 (in 2029). After I retired in September 2014, I got a job and everything has been going great. However, this week, my wife was admitted to the hospital and the doctors discovered that she had an aneurysm next to her brain stem.

My job has said that I am ineligible for paid family leave because I have been employed for less than 1 year. At this point, I am unsure if I will even have a job within the next two weeks. My employer said I was eligible for 2 weeks of personal leave.

Much to their credit my employer is trying to get Corporate to make an exception to the policy. I have no idea if that will happen or not.

I am not posting a picture of my wife because she is an extremely private person and will most likely be upset that I am even seeking donations. I have asked for a high amount of money because I can tell that the medical bills will be huge.

The worst part of this is that we are in a situation which I could have avoided by remaining in the military and I feel as if my actions have laid the foundation for the situation we are facing. My wife is the MOST IMPORTANT person in my life and in the lives of our two children. We have a 19 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. My foremost concern is to be there for her and care for my children.

I am seeking donations to cover our medical bills and help with living expenses. I appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you."

Here's the link to Erik's Please Help My Wife Fund - and thanks for any help you might provide.

2 comments:

  1. I will pray for your family, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dannie. We've had some good news in that her new medical team at UCLA Medical Center don't want her to have surgery as it carries a 90% risk of neurological damage. They have a treatment plan instead. Thanks again for all your caring. You are such a great friend.

      Delete