Saturday, August 11, 2012

Sexy Zombies?


Okay - I'm not a zombie person. In fact, it would be fair to say I have had a prejudice about the whole Zombie phenomena. However, the author of the A Zombie-ish Apocalypse series, Shannon Mayer, changed my mind. First, you can write a good book about zombies where the story is compelling and the characters feel real because Shannon has done so. Second, I never really considered that zombies would be former people, humans. This series (Sundered, Bound and Dauntless) highlights that fact and never lets you forget it.

Because Mayer’s zombies – the ones we get to know personally – still exhibit so many human traits, we care for them, for the tragedy of their condition. Most improbable for me was the idea that a Zombie could be a bit sexy, but again Mayer pulled it off. I cannot give away too much of the story, so let me just say this, at the core of Mayer’s series is a love story, and because of that strong emotion, the reader can find the “monster” sexy.

Let me just state that this is not a review of Mayer’s books, but instead a commentary on my own startled reaction to a genre I never would have believed I would like. Good story-telling is good story-telling wherever you find it and I’m glad that my association with Shannon in a book promotion event led me to try something new. I’m also glad I got to know the author.

I have another Mayer book on my Kindle that I’m now very anxious to read.

PS – a note from Red, “I was all into the hunk of a zombie Kathy is talking about! You go, Shannon!”

3 comments:

  1. Yay Red! And thanks Kathy, for the review and the support. Looking forward to working with you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I honestly loved the series and as I said, it was amazing to me that I did. We all carry around these assumptions about ourselves and the world around us, only to be startled out of them by life. Isn't that great?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must agree, Kathy. When a writer has talent and can tell a good story they can draw readers across line they may never have crossed before. Shannon has done that!

    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete